The Price of Spa-Pedis

My afterwork pedi. Arguably a mani with those finger-like toes.

Treating myself to pedicures is a recent indulgence.  I used to find the ordeal a bit strange, but I’ve now grown accustomed to the experience: Enter the shop, pick your polish color, soak your feet in bubbly water, turn on massage chair, have someone scrape the gunk out of your nails, clip and file them.  Your feet and lower legs get scrubbed, massaged, then your perfectly groomed nails are polished with a stylish new color.

A spa-pedi session after a long and tiring work week with some girlfriends felt golden yesterday.  But after visiting the salon’s bathroom, I was reminded of some apprehensions I have towards getting pedicures (and manicures).  There were jugs of acetone polish remover and various containers of creamy, hard-to-pronounce labeled substances.

My mani-pedi reservations are because of the following:

1. It’s hard to escape the smell of chemical fumes in the salon.

2. Nail polish contain harmful ingredients to our health (such as Dibutyl phthalate (DBP), Formaldehyde, and Toluene), albeit in “safe” doses.

3. I feel a bit awkward having people service my feet.

4. Why pay for a pedi when you can buy a good bottle of nail polish for a third of the cost?  And then you can keep painting your nails and your girlfriends’ nails too.

These are reasons (among others) many women avoid or limit getting pedicures, and I would still put myself in the “limit” category.  Like eating chocolate mouse cake, I’ll enjoy this in moderation.

But to address the first two points of my reservations (which bother me the most), nail polish is still considered “safe” and regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

By law, nail products sold in the United States must be free of poisonous or deleterious (harmful) substances that might injure users when used as labeled or under the usual or customary conditions of use…Many nail products contain potentially harmful ingredients, but are allowed on the market because they are safe when used as directed. (FDA)

Even if products are used “as directed” our skin and nails are permeable to toxins, meaning they can be absorbed by our bodies.  Small amounts may have little or no health impact. Unfortunately small amounts of toxins are also found in cleaning products, shampoos, soap, detergents, and pesticides on food, which can all add up.

Potential risk for:

Formaldehyde – It’s a suspected carcinogen; can cause breathing difficulty (wheezing and coughing); induce eye, nose, and throat irritation; some develop fatigue, skin rash, severe allergic reactions.

Toluene – Acute and chronic reactions vary depending on exposure and can range from nausea to impaired speech, hearing, and vision; may affect reproductive development (generally for women who abuse solvents).

DBP – Evidence of adverse health effects are limited, however animal studies show reproductive issues associate with exposure.

With growing concern over increased exposure to toxins found in beauty products, as consumers we can push for safer alternatives.  Many local health food stores and (natural) spas now carry organic or natural nail polish brands, such as No-Miss nail polish, Suncoat, or Zoya.  If you have concerns, it’s worth Google-ing “natural spa (your location)” and asking before your appointment if the salon’s products are DPB, formaldehyde, and toluene free (especially if you’re pregnant).

I’ll definitely get a pedicure again.  It’s hard to resist the lure of sitting in a massage chair while you get your feet scrubbed, and then leaving with nicely groomed and painted toes.  This is especially tempting during times when I’m treating myself for working like a donkey.  However, among the many other beautifying luxeries (like hair cuts and waxing) I’ll have to examine the cost-benefit ratio.  Costs = monetary and health impact and benefits = having nice feet and feeling like a queen for an hour.

Advertisements

20 thoughts on “The Price of Spa-Pedis

1. Derma Nova Serum says:

Aw, this was an exceptionally nice post. Finding the
    time and actual effort to produce a top notch article… but what can I
    say… I put things off a whole lot and don’t seem to get anything done.

2. Humana people to people congo says:

Humana People to People creates their task to increase under-developed
    nations around the world by supplying education to primary school teachers and tradesmen, helping promote well being
    and generate knowledge of Aids and then to assist in even more rising areas
    agriculture. Humana People to People represents a wide array of diverse plans and missions across poor areas of countries globally.

Via working together with the local folks as well
    as their government, they could benefit individuals
    who’re in need of help by their non-profit aid corporations.
    China is just one of a number of countries that this non-profit agency goes to confront the important challenges which they struggle with at present.

The Humana People to People Action works with The Federation for Associations from the
    Yunnan province in China. The project first began in 2005 and carries on over currently.
    The Humana People to People Co-operation Project Office from
    the Yunnan Region performs to increase money so as to implement numerous tasks throughout the region around poverty-stricken regions.
    A number of projects that Humana People to People strives to bring to this section of China
    contain vocational coaching centers in which they can advance their education,
    organizing them to get job opportunities, offering information about infectious sicknesses and many more.

Humana People to People first started executing their projects within China in 2007.
    One of the initial projects that was assumed was the Malaria mission which planned to deliver useful facts and cures to
    the illness to location people. A Group Capability Advancement
    and Child Aid work was subsequently entered Zhenkang. A wonderful 13 jobs were started out during
    2010 for some from the largest poverty-stricken places in the area.

Aside from the Yunnan Province, developments were got going in the Sichuan Area, Chongqing Province and Guangdong Province.

At present, a number of projects that Humana has undertaken within China contains attention in countryside
    regions, early youthful learning which is intended to offer Chinese children a head start on their road to accomplishment, building safer roads for Humana preschool kids, providing speedy HIV testing,
    starting grower support groups and increasing funds by charity events like the Comedy Club China Nonprofit Show.
    At present, there are 11 activities remaining done all through
    3 areas within China along with over 128 communities.
    Together with 280 cumulate beneficiaries, People to People delivers wish and a
    better future to those poverty-stricken rural locations.

3. Apa sakitku says:

I do consider all of the ideas you have presented in your post.
    They are very convincing and can definitely
    work. Nonetheless, the posts are very brief for novices. May just you please
    lengthen them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

4. Cheap personalized tshirts says:

I just like the valuable info you provide to your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your blog and take a look at again right here regularly.

I’m slightly certain I’ll be told lots of new stuff proper right here!
    Best of luck for the next!

5. cày thuê giá rẻ says:

Thanks for the marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author.I will be sure to
    bookmark your blog and will often come back down the road.
    I want to encourage yourself to continue your great writing, have a nice weekend!

6. comparateur pneu says:

Also if you’re paying for a trainer you’re not going to
    want to waste your money, of the 25% of people in the gym who actually achieve their goals 90% of them
    are with a trainer.

7. sdf says:

Simply wish to say your article is as surprising. The clarity to your submit is simply cool and
    that i can think you are a professional in this subject. Well with your permission allow me to clutch your RSS
    feed to stay updated with imminent post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please carry on the enjoyable work.